Best way to remove a skin tan:
Unwanted tans can be painful, especially when you have horrible stains and scuff marks. Whether you have tanned in the sun or with an artificial tan, there are many things you can do to reduce the color of the tan or even eliminate it altogether. Although you will not repair the damage caused to your skin, it may return to its original tone.
Step 1 : Remove artificial tan
1. Exfoliate, your skin. The best way to eliminate unwanted artificial tanning is to exfoliate the skin in the shower. The exfoliation removes the upper layers of tanned skin, giving way to the new, tanned skin below. You can exfoliate your skin using a body scrub (preferably an exfoliant that has large, sandy particles, such as an exfoliant with salt or sugar) or a loofah sponge.
Exfoliate your skin daily while you bathe and focus especially on the areas where the tan usually penetrates, such as the knees and elbows. Massage your skin with the body scrub or loofah sponge making circular movements, but do not exfoliate your skin too hard because you could damage it.
Just use the scrub and loofah sponge on your body. To remove artificial tanning from your face you will need a softer exfoliant, such as a facial scrub that contains fine particles or a damp cloth.
2. Nothing. If you can not remove persistent stains from artificial tanning despite having exfoliated your skin, consider going swimming to your local pool. The chemicals that are added to swimming pool water, such as chlorine, will help remove artificial tanning from your skin and will not leave any stains. Try to swim for at least one hour so that the water in the pool has time to take effect. Do not just splash around, do as long as you can in the pool for an hour. This is a great cardiovascular exercise! You will kill two birds with one stone.
3. Use a depilatory cream. Depilatory creams can be used to eliminate, in particular, the persistent spots of artificial tanning. This is because depilatory creams contain chemicals that break down artificial tanning substances, making it easier to remove them. All you have to do is apply a thin layer of the depilatory cream on the irregular tan and with spots you want to remove. Let the depilatory cream act for approximately 10 seconds, then remove the product with a cleaning wipe or a damp towel.
Obviously, this type of cream is used mainly to remove hair, so do not use this technique in any area of your body where you do not want to remove hair, such as arms.
People who have sensitive skin will react adversely to these creams, so perform a patch test on a small area of your skin, such as your wrist, before applying the depilatory cream over the entire surface. Depilatory creams are designed for the body and should never be used on the face.
4. Go to a steam bath. Taking a steam bath can be a very effective way to eliminate artificial tanning, since the hot steam causes the pores of the skin to open, thus eliminating tanning products. Try to stay in the steam room for at least 20 to 30 minutes. When you go out, immediately exfoliate your skin with a damp towel.
The artificial tan removed should be left on the towel, so use an old towel.
5. Use specific products to eliminate tanning. There are many good brands of artificial tanning that also produce products designed to help eliminate tanning. These products come in various presentations, such as body scrubs, tanning cloths and bath oils, which can be very effective, particularly to eliminate artificial tanning produced by the same brand. Follow the instructions on the label to have more details on how to use specific products.
Depending on the brand, these products can be a bit expensive, but it is worth investing in them, if you need to eliminate your tan quickly!
6. Avoid tanning with spots next time. There are certain things you can do before applying artificial tanning to make sure it is evenly distributed, leaving no stains or marks. The most important thing to do is to make sure that your skin is well exfoliated and moisturized before applying the tan. This prevents the tan from getting trapped in the dry areas of your skin. You must do this previous work 2 or 3 days before applying the tan.
You can make an extremely effective exfoliant in your home, mixing a small amount of lemon or lime juice with a little bicarbonate. Apply this mixture in a new sponge and heat it in the microwave for two minutes before using it to exfoliate your entire body. Perform this process once a day, 2 or 3 days before tanning. 
Moisten your skin with a deep moisturizing cream after each exfoliation, but never moisten your skin the day you are going to apply the tan, since the moisturizing cream will dilute the bronzer and cause stains.
Remember that tanning products that are cheaper are more likely to cause spots and distribute unevenly on your skin, compared to the more expensive brands. However, some tanning products simply will not react properly to your skin type, so look for one that works well for you.
Dim the real tan
1. Use sunscreen every day. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to eliminate the natural tan in a hurry, but you can prevent the tan from getting darker by using sunblock. Actually, if you want to make your skin maintain a clear color and that is not affected by the sun, you should use sunscreen every day of the year.
Apply liberally a sunscreen that has SPF of 30, at least, on your whole body, 30 minutes before exposing yourself to the sun.
You should use a different sunscreen for your face, preferably one that has a higher SPF. Notice that on the sunscreen label say “non-comedogenic”, this means that the sunscreen will not clog your pores.
2.Get covered. Like the use of sunscreen, covering your skin with light layers will prevent tanning from intensifying further and will protect your skin from sun damage. If you live or are in a place where it is very hot, try to wear clothes made of lightweight materials that allow your skin to breathe, like cotton. Also, wear loose and vaporous clothing.
Protect your face using hats or baseball caps and sunglasses, or try to use a parasol during the hottest hours of the day.
3. Exfoliate your skin In addition to removing your tan, exfoliate your skin will also help to attenuate the natural tan, since it will remove the upper layers of dead skin, giving way to fresh and new skin that is underneath. Exfoliate your skin while you bathe with a body scrub or loofah sponge, making circular movements. Do this process at least once a week.
Use a facial scrub to exfoliate your face or moisten a cloth in warm water to massage your skin carefully.
4. Use a product that clarifies the tone of your skin. It is possible to use bleaching or bleaching products to eliminate tanning in small areas of the skin, but keep in mind that these products are generally used to discolor and to attenuate dark spots caused by the sun. Therefore, it is important that you consult your doctor before using it. The creams to lighten the skin reduce the amount of melanin in the skin. The more melanin your skin contains, the darker it will be.
Skin lightening creams can be obtained with and without a prescription. The safest and most effective skin lightening creams usually contain steroids and retinoic acid (a form of vitamin A) as an active ingredient. Other creams use natural ingredients, such as arbutin, kojic acid and azelaic acid.
Hydroquinone is the active ingredient of various skin-clearing products that can be obtained without prescription or with prescription (in a greater percentage) in the United States. However, hydroquinone has been banned in many countries in Europe and Asia due to its link to cancer, so consult your doctor before using it.
Mercury is the active ingredient of some skin lightening products that are produced in Asia. The use of these products can cause mercury poisoning, which can have many serious side effects, including the death of unborn children. The sale of mercury-containing products is prohibited in the United States; however, be sure to check the labels of all the products to lighten the skin before using them, just to be sure.
5. Keep your skin hydrated. Keeping your skin well hydrated stimulates this important organ to work at full capacity, increasing the renewal of cells and allowing the skin to regenerate itself. These processes will help the natural tan attenuate faster. Also, you can moisturize your skin inside, drinking plenty of water and eating fresh fruits and vegetables; or you can moisturize it on the outside, often applying a deep moisturizing cream (preferably one that contains natural fruit acids to help eliminate tanning) over your entire body.
Home remedies to remove any type of tan
1. Make a face mask with chickpea flour, lemon juice, milk and turmeric powder. This mask works wonders, it lightens the skin and reduces tanning, if it is used frequently. Simply mix two tablespoons of chickpea flour, 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder, the juice of half a lemon and a drop of milk to form a thick paste.
Apply this mixture on all your face and neck and let it act for 15 minutes. Then, rinse with warm water. For best results, apply this mask once every two days.
If you have oily skin that is prone to acne breakouts, you can replace the drop of milk with a small amount of rose water.
2. Soak your feet and hands in lemon juice. The citric acid contained in the lemon is effective to lighten the skin and can be used to reduce or eliminate natural or artificial tanning, especially in areas where it is difficult to remove the tan, such as hands and feet. Squeeze three lemons and dilute the juice in a bowl full of warm water. Let your hands and / or feet soak in the water with lemon juice for 15 or 20 minutes.
Lemon juice can dry out your skin a bit, so be sure to moisturize your hands and feet with a deep moisturizing cream after using this treatment.
You can also apply the concentrated lemon juice directly on the areas where you have tan spots that are difficult to remove. Let the lemon juice work for 15 minutes and then rinse.
You can replace the lemon juice with lime juice or orange juice to make this treatment, since both contain a certain amount of citric acid.
3. Rub your skin with raw potato. The raw potato contains a large amount of vitamin C, which is used in many treatments to lighten the skin. Some people claim to have successfully rinsed their tanned skin by rubbing the darker areas with the juice of a raw potato.
Simply cut a raw potato in half and rub the exposed and moist pulp of this over your tanned skin. Repeat the process as much as possible, until you begin to see results.
You can also rub your skin with tomatoes and cucumbers to produce the same effect, because these vegetables also contain a large amount of vitamin C.
4. Make an exfoliant with sugar. It is very easy to make a fabulous homemade exfoliant, which contains benefits to reduce tanning, with natural ingredients from your kitchen. Simply mix a cup of ground black sugar, some good quality oil and a small amount of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
The sugar will remove the dead skin, the lemon juice will lighten your skin and the olive oil will moisturize it.
Rub your whole body with this mixture, using a clean towel or a cloth moistened with warm water. Rinse in the shower.
5. Use aloe vera. Aloe vera is known to attenuate intense tanning. It also relieves burns and helps heal wounds. For best results, buy an aloe vera plant and use the sap, which looks like gel, directly from the leaf. It is completely safe to use aloe vera, as it has no common side effects, so you can apply it as often as you want.
However, aloe vera will make your skin very sensitive to sunlight, so be sure to use sunblock when you leave after using this treatment.
6. Try coconut water. It is known that applying coconut water topically on the face and hands attenuates the tan and makes the skin soft and supple. For best results, you should apply aloe vera daily. It is not necessary to rinse.
Drinking coconut water is also a good option to moisturize your skin from the inside. Coconut water is low in calories and is a delicious alternative for common water.
7. Exfoliate your skin with a mixture of oats and buttermilk. Mix a spoonful of oats with a drop of buttermilk and spread this mixture over your entire body, making circular movements throughout your skin. The oatmeal will exfoliate your skin and the buttermilk will soothe it and leave it soft. You can also apply a paste of chickpea flour, milk, lemon juice and turmeric to your skin to successfully remove the tan.
Choose only one product and do not use any other. Do not use different products to eliminate the artificial bronzer of your skin, but your skin will be irritated. Use hydrogen peroxide, baking soda or hair bleach, but not all at once.
Let time run its course, get into the bathtub every day, and keep your skin moisturized. Be patient and remember to be more careful the next time you apply the spray tan.
Try the treatments in a very small area to make sure it does not cause stinging, burning or irritation. If you experience some of the above-mentioned reactions, simply do not continue with the treatment and wait patiently for the tan to go away on its own.