20 home remedies to fight allergies
The hypersensitivity reaction that triggers the immune system due to the interaction with external or new substances that are generally not harmful, is called allergy. The substances that cause allergy are called “allergens”. Allergy occurs when white blood cells are over-activated by an antibody called Immunoglobulin E, which causes an inflammatory response that can range from mild to severe.
Common allergens that cause allergy include pollen grains, house dust, animal dander, mites, feathers, chemicals, and some specific foods.
Causes of allergy
There are thousands of causes that can trigger allergies, including:
- Household chemicals
- The hair of the pets
- Pet skin dandruff
- Fungal or mold infection
- Food (especially milk, wheat, eggs, seafood, soy, fruit and nuts)
- Stinging of wasps and bees – remedies for a bee sting –
- Various medications such as penicillin
Signs and symptoms
There are several types of allergies that are caused by different allergens and therefore, the symptoms can be very different. However, among the most common are:
- Migraine or pain in the nasal cavity
- Runny nose
- Itchy eyes, ears, throat, lips and palate
- Redness of the eyes
- Asthma attack
- Abdominal pain
Tips to prevent allergies
- Limit clutter: Minimize additional clutter in the home so there is less dust and dirt such as old books, dried flowers, old stuffed toys, etc.
- Keep the bed clean: Regular cleaning of the bed, sheets, pillow cases and blankets are essential. This helps to a certain extent, to avoid the appearance of mites and microbes.
- Use a mask: If you are allergic to pollen, dust and dirt, use a mask to avoid direct exposure to these substances. Use the mask while you vacuum and do gardening.
- Air conditioning: Always use an air conditioner in the car while driving as it filters the fresh air and keeps dirt away. Air conditioners and dehumidifiers are also useful in cleaning and purifying the air in your room as it eliminates unnecessary moisture that encourages the growth of germs.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking is the most dangerous thing that can make allergies worse and if you have them and you have this habit, you should know that it is fatal. If you avoid smoking you can reduce allergic reactions.
- Install an air filter in the home: Keep the immaculate air in the house can avoid the presence of dust mites, pet dander and pollen. When you have the air filter working you should keep the doors closed.
- Isolate your pets from the house: Pets are the source of a series of allergies in humans. Dandruff of hairy animals causes allergies that lead to constant sneezing and even redness and skin rashes. If you or a member of your family has allergies, it is best to try to keep your pet away from home and remember that it is important to wash your hands every time you touch it.
- Rinse with saline water to avoid the sudden appearance of allergy symptoms: To remove pollen and dust from the nose in order to prevent them from reaching the lungs directly, you should wash your nose every morning and at night with a Saline solution. This also helps to treat the pains caused by sinusitis. Although this remedy can not replace the proper medication, it will undoubtedly curb your need to consume too many medications.
- Consume fish oil supplements: fish oil supplements are an effective remedy to cure asthmatic allergies. This helps to restrict the level of leukotrienes in the body that stimulates the increase in allergy. It is good to know that there are some people who are allergic to fish oil supplements and cod liver oil, so it is recommended that you identify the type of allergy you have and consult a doctor before applying this remedy.
- Do not leave the house uncovered: do not leave the house without using a sunscreen or glasses on days of great sunshine. Try to avoid direct exposure to the sun’s rays as much as possible.
- Butterbur: Butterbur is the best natural remedy to cure pollen allergies. It is also a useful remedy to contain asthma and migraine pain.
- Acupuncture: It is believed that acupuncture also plays a vital role in reducing allergic reactions. This technique is also very useful in the prevention of hay fever.
- Consume turmeric : The antibacterial properties of turmeric helps to slow down allergens in the body, also strengthens the immune system and keeps cold away from the body. This is why turmeric should be an essential ingredient in a person’s daily diet. You can also mix half a spoonful of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and consume it in this way.
- Honey: The consumption of a spoonful of pure honey every day proves to be useful in reducing allergic reactions, especially that which is caused by pollen.
- HEPA filters : Make sure your vacuum cleaners are equipped with HEPA filters that are very efficient in capturing microbes. However, if you install HEPA filters throughout the house, the effect is usually more effective.
- Steam bath : a steam bath is the best way to open the nasal congestion caused by allergies; it also calms irritation in the throat. This method is also effective in curing allergies that cause blocked ears.
- Eucalyptus oil : This essential oil extracted from eucalyptus leaves is an excellent remedy to cure nasal obstruction, sinusitis and other allergic reactions.
- Spicy food: Some people believe that eating spicy foods such as wasabi, chili peppers, fresh garlic, Dijon mustard and horseradish, eliminates the effects caused by sinusitis. The spicy effect also helps unblock the nostrils.
- Nettle leaves : nettle leaves are a natural source of antihistamine. It can be taken in the form of tea, tincture or capsule. This is the most practical and effective option you can use to cure allergies.
- Quercetin : This is another great option found in foods such as citrus fruits and broccoli. Quercetin is a natural source of antihistamine that helps reduce inflammation in the body caused by allergies.
Homeopathic remedies for allergies
Below I show you some very effective homeopathic remedies to cure some allergies.
- Histamine: This remedy works to cure allergy caused by dust and strong fragrances.
- Natrum mur: This homeopathic medicine is useful to keep allergies caused by acidic foods and bread controlled.
- Kali bich: People who are allergic to malt liquor or beer, respond well to this medication.
- Adhatoda Justice: Justicia adhatoda is an effective homeopathic remedy for those who are allergic to dust, suffer from sneezing and have constant nasal secretions, especially at night.
- Hepar sulph: Hepar sulph is effective in people who are allergic to cod liver oil.
- Carbo veg: This homeopathic remedy is useful for curing allergic reactions caused by bad liquors, rotten eggs, poultry products, salted butter and aspirin.
- Sulfur: People who are allergic to antibiotics respond well to this medication.
- Bryonia: This medicine helps to cure allergic reactions caused from castor oil.
- Nux vomica: Nux vomica is given to people who are allergic to coffee.
- Apis: It is useful to reduce allergic reactions caused by heat.
- Altissima: People who are allergic to pollen and the smell of flowers, respond well to this homeopathic treatment.
- Dulcamara: people who suffer from allergic reactions due to humidity, are relieved with this medicine.
- Arsenic: It is effective in the treatment of allergies caused by fruits, soft drinks, iodine and fermented foods.
- Sepia: This medication stops the allergy caused by hot boiled milk.
- Argentum nit: This homeopathic remedy is used to cure the allergy caused by sugar.
- Tellurium : Tellurium is good for allergy caused by rice.
- Thuja : Thuja medication is given to patients allergic to onions, sweets and fatty meats.